Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Power Struggle Creating Struggle

I am suppose to be in music class learning cadences and harmonization ( which I did in grade when I was 15/16) however I completely forget how to do them. So I decided to come to the library where pretty much all the good social networking sites are blocked.. BUT MY BLOG ISN'T YAY. So what to blog about?

The Power Struggle I recently listened to one of my favourite teachers talk about the power struggle within the teachers in the school ( this was no surprise to me) but I was happy one teacher was finally admitting to it. This teacher who we will call Marcy for our purpose basically said this:

1. Our department head kisses royal ..... donkey
2. Our department head is selfish
3. When our department head found out there was a power position open she JUMPED ON IT
4. She is selfish
5. Has not shown care for her students
6. Picks favourites and hurts students

And that was just to name a few
This certain power hungry teacher she was talking about made my mark drop over 20 % within a year so I agree she ....... sucks.. that's being nice.
Now to tie this into reality.
I just asked the two people sitting beside me in the lab, when has a power struggle in history ever gained success. Their answer was: "no clue.............................never"
Exactly if random teenagers get the point, why don't the important people get it.
Hitler and Stalin : an epic fail of a power struggle
Ironically this teacher has been dubbed Hitler's re incarnation female style ( I don't believe in re- incarnation btw)
What Can Be Done
I've often wondered what can be done about the justice failure withing the walls of my school. Teachers try to be the justice police and they get shut up by the board or the principal. Teachers speak up and they get punished. So what do we do. Honestly I have just been counting the days until I get to get out of here. But what will that do...
A whole load of nothing

So on a good day I will pray for the people that are destroying my school , pray for the Holy spirit to encounter their lives etc

But I realized what I need to do is be a good influence and a help to the people who have been hurt by this power struggle. I can be a peer mentor or a tutor for the students who can't learn because their teacher is barely teaching. I can give a friendly smile to a student who has been put down by a teacher or excluded.
I think it all goes back to one thing I can be the hands and feet of Christ. I can be like Christ, not preach, but be present, not scorn, but help the torn. I can be there :)

... PS... not all teachers suck I have met some teachers who have positively shaped me into who I am today
... I feel like this blog was kind of thrown together... whoops

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I am writing my paper about for Social Foundations! Those teachers who neglect the welfare of their students because they are self serving. I fear that this is far more common place than one might think.

    But also from a teaching stand point it was inappropriate for another teacher to comment on/discuss this with students.

    ReplyDelete